LEGAL EXPERTS DEDICATED TO PROFESSIONAL EXCELLENCE
The words Board Certified, Specialist, Expert and the letters B.C.S. for Board Certified Specialist mean that a Florida lawyer has special knowledge, skills and proficiency in a specific field of law.
The Supreme Court of Florida established Florida’s board certification program in 1982 to enable consumers to identify attorneys who are qualified specialists. A lawyer who is board certified by The Florida Bar has demonstrated ability and experience in his or her field and professionalism within the legal community.
Board certified members of The Florida Bar are the only Florida attorneys who may list Board Certified, Specialist, Expert and the letters B.C.S. for Board Certified Specialist on business cards or letterhead, in legal directories or in advertising.
The logo displayed also signifies board certification and helps identify a lawyer’s certification status.
To find more information on each certification area and view listings of board certified attorneys by specialization areas, please visit www.FloridaBar.org/certification
To become a board certified specialist, a lawyer must:
- Be an active member in good standing with The Florida Bar
- Have practiced in law for a minimum of five years
- Complete approved legal education programs
- Demonstrate substantial experience in the specialty area
- Be favorably evaluated by judges and other lawyers as to ability and experience in the specialty field
- Exhibit character, ethics and professionalism
- Pass a written examination in the specialty area
Board certification requires high standards, continuing legal education and professionalism in the practice of law.
Florida’s board certification program operates according to Supreme Court-approved standards in 24 practice areas.
- Admiralty & Maritime Law
- Adoption Law
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation Law
- Appellate Practice
- Aviation Law
- Business Litigation
- City, County & Local Government Law
- Civil Trial
- Construction Law
- Criminal Appellate
- Criminal Trial
- Education Law
- Elder Law
- Health Law
- Immigration & Nationality
- Intellectual Property Law
- International Law
- Labor & Employment Law
- Marital & Family Law
- Real Estate
- State & Federal Government & Administrative Practice
- Tax Law
- Wills, Trusts & Estates
- Worker’s Compensation
Florida Bar board certified lawyers are legal experts dedicated to professional excellence.
The Florida Bard Board of Legal Specialization & Education operates under the authority of the Supreme Court of Florida. The certification program and any supporting materials or activities are not funded by the general revenues of The Florida Bar.
For more information, please contact:
The Florida Bar Legal Specialization & Education Department
651 East Jefferson Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2300